We're looking for a Head of Linguistic Team
(based in London, Berlin, or Tallinn)
Who are we?
Lingvist is building the next generation of language learning software. We believe that we can make learning 10x faster using adaptive technology and AI methods. We have already achieved remarkable traction towards this goal.
The Lingvist prototype was created at CERN by one of our co-founders, employing the machine learning algorithms that were used to discover the Higgs boson. Soon after, the technical co-founder of Skype and leader of its core technology team joined Lingvist to share his experience in building a world-class company and product. Our team has now grown to 40 members from around the world, bringing together experts from different fields, including language instruction and education, data science, business, and product development.
Since the company’s founding in 2013, Lingvist has attracted nearly €10M from the Japanese e-commerce giant Rakuten and Nordic investors. We have approximately 1 million users in Asia, Europe, and the Americas, the vast majority of whom have discovered us through word-of-mouth recommendations. In 2017/2018 our goal is to grow our user base and enhance user satisfaction by improving the overall learning experience and designing new learner-centred features.
As Head of Linguistic Team, you will lead the company’s initiative to offer our learners a unique educational experience. You will report to the CEO and work closely with other team leaders to turn the most effective language learning methodologies into scalable technical solutions.
You will oversee the creation and improvement of our new and existing language modules and support the development of new learning features.
The ideal candidate is passionate about language learning, can communicate their knowledge to experts in other fields, and is able to attract and retain people who can help us realise our vision.
- Lead a cross-cultural linguistic team and leverage the upside of diversity and cultural subtleties
- Contribute to the company’s overall strategy as a member of the management team; develop the linguistic roadmap for sustained competitiveness and growth
- Translate business goals into learning strategies and initiatives; ensure that all members of the linguistic team have a clear understanding of the company’s strategic priorities
- Evaluate and refine the efficiency, effectiveness, and impact of organisational tools and work processes
- Increase learning speed and retention by supporting the development of learning features and improving the quality of the existing content
- Ensure on-time delivery of short- and medium-term linguistic projects; develop long-term goals for the team and ensure their effective execution
- Proven experience in leading remote and cross-cultural teams
- Demonstrated passion for education and/or language learning
- Excellent cross-disciplinary collaboration skills
- Strong project management capabilities, including effective delegation and time management skills
- Good knowledge of the best practices and recent advances in second language acquisition and computational linguistics
Exceptional candidates will have some of the following qualities
- A master’s degree in education, languages, or technology, or equivalent experience
- Excellent understanding of SLA, CL, or NLP
- Demonstrated experience in the EdTech, gaming, localisation, or e-learning industry
- Demonstrated experience in employing agile project management methods
- 5+ years of experience in product management in a language-related B2C or B2B product
If you are interested, please upload your CV and motivation letter here.