The 2016 Year End Challenge!

• admins

2016 may be almost over, but we’re here to tell you that it’s never too late! There’s still time left to make a final push to do make good on your language learning goal for 2016, and to set up a good habit for the coming year. With that in mind, we are bringing you our 2016 Year-End Challenge!

Here's how it works:

Check your stats from the last week (or your most recent stats if you're new) and commit to raising your number of cards to a certain number per day until Dec 31, 2016.

Start with a number you can realistically do and feel good about until the end of the year — If you don't have a goal number in mind, a good example to start with would be +5% of your last session. If you are at 0 or just starting out, setting a goal number of 50 is a good amount to start with to get on track.

• Commit to the challenge on the forum by posting your target language, the +% you chose, and your goals for Day 5 and Day 10.
    • Report in on Day 5 (Dec 26) and Day 10 (Dec 31) to let us know how you’re doing! If you’ve got friends and family learning with Lingvist, challenge them to do it and post it on the Forum too!

• The challenge will run from 00:00:00 GMT Dec 21, 2016- 11:59:59 GMT Dec 31, 2016. You can join the challenge after that time — in fact we encourage anyone to join at anytime!but if your goal is not only language skills but a prize, then you'll have to join by the deadline.

Early in the New Year, we’ll be randomly drawing a name from all eligible community members who participated in the challenge for some Lingvist goodies! Winners will be contacted via email for further information.

ELIGIBILITY
    To be eligible to win, learners must:

• Join the challenge by publicly posting their target language, number of cards you want to do, and goals for Days 5 and 10 by 23:59:59 GMT Dec 21, 2016.

• Report in the thread with their progress for Days 5 and 10 with your results.

Note: Lingvist team members can also join in the challenge, but will not be eligible for prizes.

Let’s remember that we’re all doing this challenge together. Support and encourage each other as much as we can. If you lose motivation, the community is here to help you keep going.

Good luck and happy learning for the rest of 2016!

• @thomas-heiss I also saw that in Duolingo, thats why i am here, I just started the German course a few hours ago.

• Just to let you know:

I had opened an "end of 2017 year" challenge on DuoLingo last Wednesday 12/20/2017:

[Challenge]: Learn (3000-)5000 words in 12 days on Lingvist until end of this year (2017): https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25606961

[Challenge-Update]: Lingvist end of year 2017 update: Days 1-7 progress statistics (screenshots): https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25676157

This was before I run over this 2016 challenge thread on Lingvist forums.

Q: Are any users actively learning a new language from 12/20/2017-12/31/2017?

If YES, maybe we can open a new 2017 year end challenge thread on Lingvist?

I can also copy my text from the DuoLingo discussion forum to Lingvist forum, but I would have to double-check formatting.

• @thomas-heiss hahaha I genuinely didn't notice this was the challenge for LAST year.

• @sede-yann @Ave

Is there a new 2017 challenge?

If yes, it makes probably no sense to post to an old 2016 thread?

• Challenge accepted!
    Learning French from English, currently on Level 35/50.
    I've been doing around 100 cards per day.
    Will try to achieve 120 cards till the end of this challenge.

• works@Lingvist

Well done everyone who stuck to it and completed the challenge! I set a bit too ambitious goal for and quickly became demotivated when I couldn't complete it. I'll try a slightly lower bar next time:)

If like me you failed this time around, check out @Jen's helpful post on habit building.

• admins

@Marco-Caramori You gave it a go, at least!

• I ended up stopping after having to prepare for two trips and a music festival. I reached a little more than 500 cards. My goal was 1000.

• I'm on mobile and cannot upload a screenshot, however I will share my results :}

Dec 25: 170 (goal: 170)
    26: 24 (180)
    27: 200 (190)
    28: 286 (200)
    29: 250 (210)
    30: 250 (220)
    31: 260 (230)
    Total: 1440 (1400)

Tried to make up for the second day throughout the challenge. Anyway, it's 11:42 PM here. Happy new year!

• Day 10 report: 3x15min sessions each day

alt text

All-in-all it seems that there are ways to organize such a challenge better. Reporting in only twice means that most of the people manage to forget about it already by day 5. Also I am somewhat surprised none of the Lingvist team members, who decided to take part, didn't report in halfway through the challenge. I'd expect you to be the ones most interested in keeping the challenge alive and setting a good example to other participants.

In your position I would think of creating something like a (semifrequent) week-long challenge for reaching daily 50 cards or smth (no big target, just to build microhabits of learning a language and doing it via Lingvist). People sign up, their progress gets tracked automatically and everybody can see on a challenge page what percentage of people are still in. In case you haven't done your cards for a certain time of a day you get a simple reminder e-mail as long as you are still in the competition, once you fail your target for a day, you are out of the challenge.

• Almost pulled it off. I missed one day although I nearly made it up by doing double the next day. This challenge has been fun and I can feel my language skills improving. I plan to continue with this - made it one of my resolutions for the upcoming year to get in here every day 🙂 Everyone here is doing so awesome... and it's motivating me to try to rearrange my schedule so I can do more cards per day. Happy New Year everybody!

• I have achieved my goal for these 2 weeks 😄

This challenge has been a big motivation. Please keep such activities coming for the wonderful community of language learners 🙂

Bonne Annee

• I'm less than an hour away from midnight here in Korea, so I'll post my results now.

I was able to maintain 200 for the last five days. I did 1085 cards in the first five days and 1123 in the second five days for a total of 2208, so I passed my goal!
    I also more than doubled the amount of time I've spent studying Russian on Lingvist.

Most importantly, I realized that taking one hour out of my day to study is not as hard as I thought it would be, even around the holidays. This gives me motivation to continue studying throughout 2017. Happy New Year everybody!

• works@Lingvist

@Alexander-Swidersky I wish I had that problem 😉

• @Alexander-Swidersky 1844 cards done (target was 1500)

ps. Some issues with rendering graph, so my peaks somewhere above the line 🙂

• @Alexander-Swidersky 1047 cards done till end of 26.12 (bit above target of 750), looking forward optimistically to make it.

• admins

@Frank That's a fantastic attitude. Consistency is key...

• Learning English from Russian, committing for 100 cards/day.

• Unfortunately, I didn't make it... I was short each day by a few cards but I'm at least consistently showing up to do this! I won't give up. Hoping everyone is having a happy holiday so far!

Recent topics: