Learning how to learn

• works@Lingvist

Dr. Barbara Oakley, an engineering professor at Oakland University in Rochester, Mich., and Dr. Terrence Sejnowski, a neuroscientist at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, together with the University of California, San Diego, created a Learning How to Learn course on Coursera, which has been quoted "the most popular course of all time on Coursera" by the New York Times in August, 2017:

0_1528281335344_5d7227f3-2bf6-4ae3-9e8d-baa7dd8c27b3-image.png

What is the course about?

The course teaches students how to use tools drawn from neuroscience to enhance learning. Dr. Oakley says she believes that just about anyone can train him/herself to learn. “Students may look at math, for example, and say, ‘I can’t figure this out — it must mean I’m really stupid!’ They don’t know how their brain works.”

She was not a diligent student when growing up. “I flunked my way through elementary, middle school and high school math and science,” she said. She joined the Army out of high school to help pay for college and received extensive training in Russian at the Defense Language Institute. Once out, she realized she would have a better career path with a technical degree (specifically, electrical engineering), and set out to tackle math and science, training herself to grind through technical subjects with many of the techniques of practice and repetition that she had used to let Russian vocabulary and declension soak in.

Watch her TED Talk produced independently by Oakland University and published in Aug, 2014:

Here's a review article from somehow who has done the course, published in August 2016.
    A more comprehensive course overview + course syllable based on 4405 reviews.

If you've got any specific techniques that have helped you to organize your learning process, share them below 👇

🖖

• @lisa-lingvist said in Vote for your most wanted language pair here!:

English to Traditional Chinese

English to Traditional Chinese

Recent topics: