I've been using Lingvist for a month and have some feedback

• Hola! I've been using Lingvist Free to help me learn Spanish for the past month or so and have a few ideas for improvement.

1. It would be nice to have (optional) streaks. I used Duolingo a bit, and if one day I didn't feel like learning any Spanish, I'd remember my streak and start a session on Duolingo. Then I'd get into it and do a few more.

2. There's only once sentence for most (all?) of the words, and I really feel like I'm memorising the sentence more than the word. Even 2-3 sentences per word would really help.

3. Why can't we change the daily goals? It'd be awesome to be able to edit them to match our learning goals.

4. There should be an offline mode for the app (even for just a few MBs). Maybe make it only available for Unlimited users.

5. When I enter a synonym for a word I'm currently learning, it's wrong. The blank area does only fit the word I'm learning, but still: it's technically correct. Maybe mark it as correct but add a note that says "You used a synonym"?

Also, for some reason I have a 100-hour free trial (again) of Lingvist unlimited. I'm not complaining (don't take it away!), but, unless it's a promotional thing you all should probably look into it.

Overall though, I really like the platform and teaching style as well as the well-thought-out interface (cough, Memrise, cough), and I'm looking forward to more words and more features in the future! Thank you to the developers.

• @marina Thanks for the reply and work with Lingvist! Regarding the streaks, I was refering to something like Duolingo's streak feature that tracks how many days in a row you've met the daily goal. Once your streak gets longer, you can get a fear of loosing it that helps motivate you to practice on those days when you don't really feel like it. That fear of loosing a streak wouldn't work for everybody, especially since it's just a number, but for some it really does help motivation a bit.

• works@Lingvist

P.S. The Unlimited plan on your account is part of the 7-day challenge/campaign, as @Henning-Kockerbeck has correctly responded, so make sure to jump on it while it lasts : )

• works@Lingvist

Hey @John-0, I thought I'd jump in here along with @Henning-Kockerbeck, who has provided you with brilliant answers, to comment on a few more extensively:

1. Memorizing sentences is an exercise and some of our learners report that remembering phrases helps them to participate in conversations easier and more confidently. As for various sentences per word, some sentences already have alternating varieties, and we are running tests to determine whether having multiple sentences per word is more efficient for memory retention. Once we have the results and given the answer is positive, alternative sentences will appear.

2. We currently have a "mini" offline mode, which can support you for about 15 minutes of learning. It's available on all plans.

3. A lot of words have synonyms spelled out and you will notice that sometimes our app will accept a synonym. Sometimes, however, our linguists want to make sure you learn an expression, or there are different pedagogical reasons which prescribe you to learn an exact word. In these cases, a synonym won't be accepted. Since language learners are not able to recognize such cases, it feels that too few synonyms are accepted. If you are certain a synonym should be accepted when it is not, shoot us an email with a suggestion to hello@lingvist.io.

4. Would you give a few more examples of "optional streaks", I failed to grasp the idea?

Hola John 0 (that's about how far my Spanish takes me 😄 ),

@john-0 said in I've been using Lingvist for a month and have some feedback:

1. Why can't we change the daily goals? It'd be awesome to be able to edit them to match our learning goals.

I agree with you, and this feature has been suggested before. But it looks like that it's not as easy to implement (and to implement well) as it might seem on first glance. So it might take some more time until we can define our own goals.

1. When I enter a synonym for a word I'm currently learning, it's wrong. The blank area does only fit the word I'm learning, but still: it's technically correct. Maybe mark it as correct but add a note that says "You used a synonym"?

There actually is a similar functionality: On some cards, a synonym to the expected vocab is accepted, and the input gets replaced by the expected word. But so far I haven't run into many such cards.

Also, for some reason I have a 100-hour free trial (again) of Lingvist unlimited. I'm not complaining (don't take it away!), but, unless it's a promotional thing you all should probably look into it.

That's probably because of the current 7-day challenge.

Recent topics: