Alternative to writing ß in German course.
Lingvist graduate

Hi!

It would save us some time if users could write alternative letters to ß, for example ss. We can type common letters instead of umlauts (a instead of ä, o->ö, u->ü), but I didn't find a way to type an alternative to the eszett. It's a little bit time consuming to click on the "symbols" button and pick eszett manually.

You could also use a German keyboard layout, it's quite easy to set it up and you can switch with the press of a button :)
If you're using English keyboard (qwerty) the only important thing that changes (for this course) is Y and Z are switched.
The ß can then be found on the button right of 0 in the number row :)
( ö would be right of L, ä right of ö and ü above ä)

Just saying c:

last edited by DasCapschen
Lingvist graduate

Thank you for the suggestion!
I do have a German keyboard layout on my own computer, and I even managed to switch Y and Z back:)
Unfortunately this is not an option when I'm on vacation and use a computer that is also used by other family members, adding the third keyboard layout will be too much for my parents :)

@Daniil, @maksim, @DasCapschen, perhaps this will come in handy. One of our learners has written a script which you can add to a plugin for Chrome or Firefox, enabling the $ sign to bring up the special characters menu without clicking the button. Check out the thread here and hi-five if it works for you.

Looks like your connection to Alternative to writing ß in German course. was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.