Linguistic Questions > DE

• I didn't see any place where people had reported anything, so thought I'd start something in the location that seems most appropriate ("Technical troubles").

I noticed what I think are two errors (both minor, I'd call them typos):

1. "Lass uns heute im Freien Frühstücken." As "frühstücken" is a verb, I think it should be lowercase, not uppercase (contrast with the noun Frühstück, which is properly capitalized). https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/frühstücken

2. "Der President hat seinen Rücktritt angeboten." I think this should be "Präsident" instead unless "President" is also used in German as a synonym for "Präsident." https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Präsident

• @kyle-goetz

Du hast in beiden Fällen völlig recht! Die Daten sollten gesäubert werden. Sonst läuft man Gefahr falsche Dinge zu lernen.

• Another card that I've been puzzling over for a while but have thoughts on now:

Für die Besetzung der Rolle stehen zwei Schauspieler zur Verfügung.

The English translation is given as "Two actors are available for the cast."

I do not think the English and German mean the same thing, assuming I understand Besetzung der Rolle correctly (the casting of a part/role). The German sounds to me like there is a role that needs an actor and there are two "applicants" available.

However, "Two actors are available for the cast" is more like a generic "there are two actors available who can participate, but we may or may not have any vacancies, and possibly we could just add two more bodies to the background that we didn't think we needed but why not?"

The German indicates there is a vacancy that needs a performer. The English lacks that. It's possible in the English that all positions have been filled, but there are two more people available to be added as background performers.

I would suggest this as the English: "There are two actors available to be cast for the role" (actually I would say "part" personally, in a real conversation*, but without context, I think "role" sounds better)

* A real conversion might go:

A: Oh boy, Mr Spielberg, Tom Hanks just dropped out of the project. We need someone to play Helmut Kohl!

B: (looks at collection of head shots) Well there are two other actors we could cast for the part.

(Just that without the context, "part" could be confusing)

In fact, the current English almost sounds like there is some job they need the actors to do, like appear on a talk show, and there are two available from the cast to go on the talk show.

Two little nitpickings on the side: It's "ich bin eingeschlafen" instead of "ich habe eingeschlafen". And the winners would probably complain about a "Preisverlierung" (a "price loosing ceremony"?) instead of a "Preisverleihung" 😉 But I agree with your main point.

• New question: Wie erfährt man, ob man gewonnen hat?

Am I misunderstanding the German? My take on it is that it works in Roger hat teilgenommen, aber er musste zeitig nach Hause gehen. Deshalb hat er die Preisverlierung verpasst. Wie erfährt man, ob man gewonnen hat? and it does not work in Ich habe zu früh eingeschlafen. Ich habe die Olympische Gymnastik nicht gesehen. Wie erfährt man, ob man hat gewonnen hat?

The English provided is "How do you find out who won?"

I propose it should be more like "How do you find out if you won?"

Assuming I understand the German usage correctly, the current English translation can be used on situations where "the person finding out" is also not "the person who competed," while the current German is only for situations where the finder-out and competitor are the same person.

• Long time no talk everyone! I've been super busy but managed to finish the course a while back and have been getting in enough time every day to do the reviews. Also talking with natives via italki and doing some readings and other flashcarding to supplement my weakest stuff (like the construction gerecht werden, which I'd always get wrong on LV and wanted some more usage examples).

Anyway, I see the card about the ... des Sonnenuntergangs war beeindruckend (or something to that effect about the sunset being impressive) and this time I noticed there's a typo! In the card, beeindruckend is missing an "e" and just says beindruckend. Which I guess is when something feels leg-pressure-y? 😉

• Lingvist graduate

There's a mistake in the English sentence "Hannes is very concentrated and makes progress quickly." You wouldn't use "concentrated" to describe a person. You should use "focused" instead.

• I say considered English, because as I suspected, it also came from a foreign language, French, again. But it's fully naturalised.

• I hadn't heard it either, and from googling, I see people referring to it as French. The closest one I can think of which is considered English would be "Rome wasn't built in a day", but maybe that would be introducing even more confusion with a great profusion of metaphors!

• works@Lingvist

Hey @kyle-goetz , klar, lass mich mal erklären! 😉
    Mühsam ernährt sich das Eichhörnchenis one of my favourite sayings! It basically means little by little or slowly but surely . Interesting that you haven't heard of Little by little, the bird builds its nest. If the former is easier to understand, I am happy to change it.

I would use this idiom if I feel like I have to take baby steps to achieve a task / goal. For example:

Es dauert ewig eine Sprachlernapp zu bauen... aber, wie man so schön sagt, mühsam ernährt sich das Eichhörnchen. 😉

Or you might watch your daughter taking her first steps and learning how to walk, continually fallings down and getting back up, and comment to your wife "Mühsam ernährt sich das Eichhörnchen" . Get my drift?

• I noticed there's one card, Mühsam ernährt sich das Eichhörnchen where the literal translation correctly uses "the squirrel feeds itself" but the figurative translation sayas "little bird builds its nest."

Is this a German saying? If so, what does it mean? I'm unfamiliar with any English saying like that, although if I had to guess, I suppose it means that consistent, small effort adds up to something big. "Rome wasn't built in a day" or, maybe better, "slow and steady wins the race" or "every little bit helps."

Maybe there could be a flag on idiomatic expressions to indicate that they aren't meant to be translated literally?

• works@Lingvist

Guten Morgen! I added kürzlich as a synonym! Thanks for pointing it out @markybooth 🙂

• Lingvist graduate

In the sentence "Hast du ihn unlängst getroffen?" why is "kürzlich" not accepted as an alternative to "unlängst"?

• works@Lingvist

@Matlal Thanks! Fixed in the system 🙂 .

• There is a typo in a french word in the sentence : ''Die Champs Èlysées ist eine berühmte Hauptstraße in Frankreich.''

It should be ''Élysées'' with the accent corrected.

Cheers.

• works@Lingvist

alt text

@Alexander-Hansson Fixed the literal translation to an indefinite article.
    Also, taught Marlene to say viel-mehr instead of viel-meier ;-).
    Thanks for pointing it out.
    And @andreskaasik , you are right - I deleted the double translation for The 'CeBit' fair is one of the largest trade fairs in the world.

• [deleted]

• @Alexander-Hansson indeed, there is a double translation in system. Thanks for pointing out.

• Shouldn't the literal translation be "Are you students at a university?"?

• There seems to be an error when displaying the english translation for this sentence.

Recent topics: