Linguistic Questions > DE

• Is this a typo?

Schau mal, draußen schneits!

Shouldn't it be schneit?

• works@Lingvist

@maksim @markybooth @Kyle-Goetz @Henning-Kockerbeck

Thanks for catching this. Teached is certainly incorrect. I fixed the translation and it will be reflected in the next product update.

And @markybooth seitdem was added as a synonym as it works in this context 🙂 .

• Lingvist graduate

@maksim That's a very good point.

• @Henning-Kockerbeck I'm guessing that that 'teached' was probably just a typo of 'reached', anyway. Of course 'reached' isn't right there anyway.

• @Henning-Kockerbeck for what it's worth, that "non-prestige dialect" link is using the term "dialect" very loosely. The 21st century link is to someone who is a non-native English speaker using what any native I've ever met in my life would say is wrong.

The second link (20th century) only provides very basic snippets, but what I can read comes across as a very young child who hasn't internalized the grammar rules of English participles yet. It's the equivalent of a young German child saying something like Ich habe gekommen because he hasn't internalized that you use sein with gekommen rather than haben.

And then the 19th century link we're getting into the realm of archaic English. It also uses terms like beginneth, which no one would call a "non-prestige dialect of English" but rather "archaic English".

I'd say it's possible there is an extant, non-prestige dialect I've never heard that uses teached, but the Reddit person hasn't provided satisfactory evidence of it. It really reads like he randomly searched for "teached" in hopes of proving his point and then hamfistedly shoved a square peg in a round hole.

I agree with you on your first two points. "teached" instead of "taught" is actually used in (very) colloquial speech or (as this Reddit thread succinctly puts it) in some "non-prestige dialects". But the current, standard form is "taught", and in my opion that's what a learning platform like Lingvist should teach.

Also, "to teach" isn't a good translation for "erzielen". "to teach" could be translated as "lehren", "beibringen", "unterrichten". "erzielen" would rather mean something like "to achieve", "to gain" or "to score" (a goal in sports).

Regarding your third point, I'd disagree. "Ich bin stolz auf Deine erzielte Leistung" feels a bit starchy in German, as well. So I'd reckon "I am proud of your achieved performance" is a fitting translation. But maybe, as you said, it would be a good idea to phrase the sentence more naturally. "I am proud of the performance you have achieved", "Ich bin stolz auf die Leistung, die Du erzielt/erreicht hast" sounds like a good starting point.

• Lingvist graduate

There are a few problems with the English translation of this one:
    "Ich bin stolz auf deine erzielte Leistung."
    Firstly, with this sentence 'teached' is given as one of the translations of 'erzielte'. This is incorrect English - 'taught' is the correct past participle. Secondly, is taught even a good translation of this word? Neither Reverso Context or Wiktionary mention it. Thirdly, perhaps it's just me but the translation given ("I am proud of your achieved performance.") sounds odd. It would sound much more normal to simply omit 'achieved'. Or perhaps saying it as "I am proud of the performance you have achieved." could work.

• Lingvist graduate

Another one I've come across:
    "Sie hatten sich seither nicht mehr gesehen."
    As I understand it (e.g. http://mein-deutschbuch.de/seitdem.html) seitdem should also be an acceptable alternative as it can be used wherever seither can. (Although seitdem cannot always be replaced with seither.) Or am I missing something?

As a German native speaker, I'd like to add a few remarks on topics that arose in this thread, even though it might be a bit late 🙂

Regarding the inflection of proper nouns, from my experience in general proper nouns are not inflected. But there are some exceptions, for example if the proper noun is identical to a "normal phrase", so to speak. If you're looking at a sea that happens to be dead, you could call it "ein totes Meer" or "das tote Meer". From that, the proper noun "das Tote Meer" has been derived. Because the adjective in the "normal phrase" would be inflected, that happens in the proper noun as well: "Ich bin am toten Meer" (however that dead sea might be called) as well as "Ich bin am Toten Meer" (regarding the sea with the name 'Dead Sea').

Another such exception is the genitive, which gets the "s" treatment similar like in English: "Hier ist Tim, und dort ist Tims Schwester" - "Here is Tim, and over there is Tim's sister".

Additionally, you might find inflection of proper nouns in some regional dialects or in texts from centuries ago. I vaguely remember something like that from Goethe or Schiller, but I'd have to look into it to quote an example.

As an aside, the term "proper noun" is a bit amusing. So the others are improper? 😉

Anyway, regarding "Werken", this noun is technically completely correct, but not commonly used as a synonym for "Arbeit" these days. The last time I've heard or used "Werken" on a regular basis was back in grade school, when we used it as a short term for a class. I'm not sure how the equivalent would be called in English, "handicrafts", "crafts class" or "shop class" I believe? "Das Werken im Garten ist ihr größtest Hobby" wouldn't sound natural (or contemporary) in German, in my opinion. I'd just use "Die Arbeit im Garten".

• Lingvist graduate

Hi Lisa,
    Yes, that seems like a good way to teach the differences between the two words.
    Thanks!

• works@Lingvist

@markybooth

Guten Morgen!

Yes, I agree that this sentence lacks context and either word (Einführung or Einleitung) could fit here.
    I changed the sentence to 'Heike findet die Einführung einer Hundesteuer gut.' (Heike likes the introduction of a dog tax.)
    It is admittedly a bit more complicated but Einführung here cannot be replaced by Einleitung, and it collocates closely with 'Steuern'. I have also added the word translation 'adoption'.

Let me know if that helps!

• Lingvist graduate

Hi,

I just had the following sentence: "Die Einführung war langweilig."
    Whilst I realise that there's a subtle difference between Einführung and Einleitung, I think in this context (or lack of context) both should be acceptable. Yes?

• Mir geht's gut, Lisa. Und dir? Danke für den Artikel!

• works@Lingvist

Hallo @Kyle-Goetz , wie geht's? Thanks for pointing it out. I fixed it in the system, though I did do some research beforehand. This article is in German but explains the difficulty here quite well.
    Have a lovely Tuesday!

• New one: Das Essen war im allgemeinen gut.

I sat there wondering how you could use "allgemein" like that and inflect it that way until I read that Allgemeinen is a noun. So it should be written im Allgemeinen gut instead.

• works@Lingvist

Hallo @svetken, I fixed both cards. Thank you!

• Hi Lisa,

another two cards which were strange to me :

"Die Beiden versuchen zum zweiten Mal den K2 zu besteigen.",
    According to "Duden" : "Man schreibt »beide« immer klein."

Also in that card the correct word is "Das Paket".

0_1490104878347_upload-2621431a-b55b-4d53-a549-b6b3bb580e45

Regards

• works@Lingvist

@svetken @maksim @Kyle-Goetz
    Thanks for bringing this up.
    Yes, let me give you a bit information on the usage of Werken.
    Das Werk, as a noun, is the work, like die Werke von Goethe (the works of Goethe) or die Werke von Bach (the words of Bach). So Werke can refer to anything from books, to music, art, etc.
    werken as a verb or das Werken as a noun are used quite often. The translation is difficult but it means to work or just to be busy with something. It usually is something hands on, such as yard work, woodworking, working in a repair shop etc. In the south of Germany and Austria werken, often gets turned into werkeln (this is actually translated on linguee as to potter about).

The example 'Das Werken im Garten ist ihr größtest Hobby.' could also be used with the synonym 'Das Arbeiten im Garten ist ihr größtest Hobby.'. Werken has a bit more of a hobby-aspect to it.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if I can clarify anything else!

• Personally, I had never heard of 'Das Werken im Garten'. From googling, it seems to refer to woodwork in the garden, which doesn't tally with the translations. If it really means 'die Gartenarbeit', then it must be southern, or something.

• @Kyle-Goetz
    Hi Kyle,

From what I know so far, it is normal in German to create a noun from a verb.
    In the table below you can see the rules briefly.
    In that particular case the noun "Das Werken" is created by adding "Das" to the verb "werken".
    All nouns created according to this rule are always neuter.

0_1489959706006_upload-0225e57f-3dc3-442b-8fd4-565a34185a32

I hope that is helpful.

Regards

Recent topics: