New proactive milestones

"Give me more proactive milestones!" - you asked, and we listened. Currently in testing (available to some learners only) - a new set of notifications, which will support you through your learning.

New milestones help you with 3 daily goals at the moment:

• 100 cards guessed
  • 20 new words learned
  • 80% correct on word repeats

🍒Cherry on top for proactive learners! 🍒 If you’re learning with Lingvist every day, achieving all three of these goals will probably take you only about 20 minutes.

We’ve based these milestones on the idea of “small habits, big goals”. Just 20 words a day adds up — a little over 32 weeks and you’ll have gotten exposure to a vocabulary of around 5000 words, even if you start with zero knowledge of new language.

The goals that are now in the milestones are just the beginning.

Wait for the new milestones to appear on your account, try them out and let us know which goals are most achievable, motivating, and effective to better shape your challenges.

Cool but I'm not one of the select few :(

I have the daily goals enabled in my account. How were those numeric goals determined?

I can achieve the 100 cards in 15-20 mins range. Getting 20 new cards requires me going to almost to 200 cards because my correct repeat % is nowhere near 80%. I might be on the low end of the memorization spectrum, but I imagine that I am not alone. Some people's confidence will get crushed every day if they do not reach the 20 new cards with an 80% correct recall rate. An aggressive, non-personalized goal like these easily reinforce the perception that "I suck at learning languages" and here are the number to prove it. Not sure if goal personalization is on your roadmap, but I'd integrate that in as soon as possible to not discourage slower language learners

Just my 2 cents.

Randolph Williams is right, but the problem is even more complicated. As far as I understand the concept of goal it should be possible to aim for it, but these goals kind of counteract each other. When I review words that have been on my list for a while I score at about 85-90% but when the words were new yesterday 60-70% is a more likely outcome. When combining new and old words 80% is an acceptable goal for me. But there are situations where the system will counteract this goal. Sometimes when I have reviewed all the words in my repeat stack I go through a lot of new words. The second day my percentage is bound to be lower than average, because I have very few old reviews while the words from yesterday dominate the review session. When the repeat stack is empty I will have failed to achieve the goal and since it is a goal I would expect to be able to continue fighting. But no! You wont let me! Because I cannot choose between new words and review words. (Technically this seems to be similar to the issue that people who have learned all words must wait until the system allows them to go on reviewing.)

On another day I might want to achieve the goal of 20 new words, but as Randolph Williams points out the repeat stack comes first. (One partial solution would be to add the milestone "finished the repeat stack.") At the moment the design of the milestones kind of assumes that the user can choose what to study, but the system does not really allow that.

Personalisation is good, but not enough. Another improvement would be to remove the milestones that are not fulfilled. What I mean is that you should only display the milestone icons that have already been achieved. Displaying "goals" that the system prevents users from achieving does not really make sense. At the moment they should be treated more as reminders of what we have already achieved today rather than summaries of what we want to achieve. Not because that is necessarily better, but because that is the way that you have designed them.

Another possibility is to calculate the average percentage for the last few weeks or months and tell us when we are above average, have made a personal best or something similar.

@randolph-williams @skrivmask I, on the contrary, am having no trouble reaching the goals. I do about 100 cards a day depending on the repeat stack. I'd like to see more difficult goals so that I can challenge myself trying to reach them. On the one hand you can say this is another argument for personalization, but also, if these are supposed to be meaningful achievements and not simply thanks-for-participating pats on the back, then shouldn't we expect not to achieve them every day, but only when we're at our best?

On this note, it would be nice to see streaks saved, not just for each day, but for each week, month, and maybe all-time. This way we challenge ourselves to do better by competing against our own past achievements without reference to an externally imposed standard (except to the extent that the sequence of cards is determined by lingvist, but I'm fine with that).

I said that the site/app should only mention achieved milestones, not future plans, but I have thought about it a bit more. It is possible to strive towards the goals, but we can't really choose which one to focus on at the moment, so the system should be honest and tell the user what the current goal is. I realize now that the 100 cards milestone can probably be achieved with only new cards, but the goal of 20 new words is still a bit premature when I have a repeat stack of 500 cards.

When I start learning in the morning the site could tell me that I have still not reached 100 words. When I reach it the icon would turn green, and a new (not fulfilled) goal would appear. My current repeat stack is at 171 so the most reasonable goal would "finish the repeat stack". (But it could also be "finish 200/300/400 cards"). When finished the icon would turn green and a new one would appear, stating that I should finish 20 new words. After that it would be easy to add 50 new words and 100 new words as milestones.

Also, I agree with @goodbyemrevans-lingvist2 that saving all-time streaks would make sense.

Awesome spirited discussion.

I imagine that the recall percentage varies by individual ability, known languages and by the language being studied. All the more reason why individuals should be able to have personalized goals. The goals can be based upon a number of factors; e.g., estimated lingvist completion date, longest streak, etc.. The goals should be adjustable but suggestions should be proposed by Lingvist.

I also think that graphical trendlines can work wonders for motivation as well.

last edited by randolph.williams

Please, a little bit wide about 3 goals. I try to learn 100 cards per day, but I am too far from described result. It needs for me about 40 minutes with rate 65-80%. What's wrong with me)))? Should I speed up my temp and my results become better? Thank you

I'm really happen with these milestones. The 80% one really gets me to focus hard at the start of a day, and the 100 cards one encouraged me to stop trying to do 150 cards a day. 150 a day was nice, but eventually I started getting around 60% correct a day, and I wanted 70+% instead. With 100 cards, I retain more.

Looks like your connection to New proactive milestones was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.