Grammar Challenge Answers (ser / estar for descriptions)

¡Hola de nuevo!

As promised, we're back to give you the answers for the grammar challenge we posed last week! :-D

alt text

• Mi madre estaba enfermera (My mother used to be a nurse) --> WRONG: Mi madre era enfermera. Verb ser: we're classifying "my mother" as part of a professional group.
  • Eres loco (You are crazy) --> WRONG: Estás loco. Verb estar: being crazy is a personal circumstance; it has nothing to do with a person's nature.
  • ¿Estás viva? (Are you alive?) --> RIGHT. Verb estar. Just like in the previous example, being alive is a personal circumstance (whether your heart beats or not).
  • Mi abuela estaba rica y famosa (My grandmother was rich and famous) --> WRONG: Mi abuela era rica y famosa. Verb ser. "My grandmother" belongs to the rich and famous, thus, we're placing her into a specific category.
  • Soy deprimido (I am depressed) --> WRONG: Estoy deprimido. Verb estar. Just like in previous examples, being depressed is a temporary personal circumstance.
  • El suelo está sucio (The floor is dirty) --> RIGHT. Verb estar. Dirtiness is not a natural feature of the floor, it's just a temporary condition.

Please share your questions, comments and/or ideas with us!

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

last edited by Javier

You can say "estás loco" or "eres un loco."

You can say "estaba rica" o "era rica."

You most commonly say "estoy deprimido" because it's temporary.

¡Hola!

Thanks for contacting Lingvist!

Of course those structures exist in Spanish... In other contexts :-)
Actually, nobody here has stated they do not exist as such.

Please check the original instructions and contexts on the ser/estar for descriptions post.

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

last edited by Javier

at the sentence "mi abuela estaba rica y famosa" the verb estar it's not correct in this form, the correct form is era.

Exactly! That is why that sentence is part of a grammar challenge we created for our English>Spanish users to practise the differences between ser and estar. Please check the correct answers and explanations right next to the sentences.

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

last edited by Javier

Looks like your connection to Home was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.