Français: avis vs opinion?

• Salut tout le monde,

I was just wondering what the difference in meaning and usage between "avis" and "opinion" was. If anyone can help, can you teach me?

Merci de votre attention,
    Alex

• @alex-ma

*@alex-ma said in Français: avis vs opinion?:

Salut tout le monde,
    I was just wondering what the difference in meaning and usage between "avis" and "opinion" was. If anyone can help, can you teach me?
    Merci de votre attention,
    Alex*

Hi Alex 🙂 i'm new here ( French who learns english ( almost beginner ) ^^) and i've just discovered this forum and your very good and interesting question ! ( many natives French doesn't doing the difference between avis /opinion while it is very important ! 🙂 )

here is the definition from the Larousse (french official dictionary) Facebook page:

"The term OPINION means a personal judgment on a subject. An AVIS is an opinion resulting from a reflection and intended to be communicated to one or more persons in order to trigger an action. Example: consult the advice of a doctor"

I'm totally agree with it 🙂

Hope it's helps you a little bit to catch the subtlety 😉

• Lingvist graduate

As a native french speaker, I don't see any difference between them.

• I was wondering this myself and I found this WordReference.com thread.

Also, the explanations at Wiktionary of the old/middle french & latin words from which they originate (avis / opinion) seem to me to be saying much the same thing.

I hope it helps,

A.I.G.

Recent topics: