Confusing Questions

• I occasionally come across blanks that multiple words would fit with, so I thought I'd catalog them here from now on.

The first one I've seen today, and finally after realizing that I've seen multiple "contract" words yesterday, do I understand why there's about three or four seven-letter words with an "a" and a three-letter prefix that have been giving me trouble! It probably comes down to this pair in particular.

Vortrag

Auftrag

Wir werden den _______ bekommen.

The hint says "order, contract"

Well Vertrag means "contract" so that's what I put. It makes sense in context, too. "We will get the contract."

But Auftrag is the only accepted answer. So I get it wrong. And these two words have been the ones giving me absolute fits since some of my first days on the course a few months ago!

• Danke!

How about Wir bieten Unterstützung für Angehörige und Freunde. Could you use Verwandten in the blank instead of Angehörige? I know the meanings are slightly different: one is just blood relatives and the other includes in-laws and such, or something like that? In any case, if Verwandten doesn't work there, why?

This is a question I get wrong every time because they're the same length, and both appear to fit perfectly, and I don't know the difference (although thanks to your lesson, @Lisa-Lingvist, I will not mistake ausgestattet and eingerichtet anymore!)

• works@Lingvist

@Kyle-Goetz
    Servus Kyle!

The Zimmer is already corrected. It just needs to wait for a product update to be reflected online.
    Regarding your sentence above... I am hesistent to add ausgestattet as a synonym. It's not a very close colloquate in this sense. The sentence for ausgestattet is Alle Zimmer sind mit Dusche und TV ausgestattet.

So use eingerichtet to describe how rooms are furnished (the feeling behind it, cozy, warm, cold, etc.), and use ausgestattet to describe what amenities a room has.

• Should Unsere zimmer sind modern und liebevoll eingerichtet also accept ausgestattet? Also zimmer should be capitalized right?

• "Danke schon" for the list in the German course.
    If it's possible I'd like to ask for more "frequent words". For instance, there are many verbs in the sentences that can't be find in the 200 more usual verbs in German, however the most used verbs in the language aren't part of the sentences. Perhaps, starting with words that are of daily use will help to begin to understand news or simple stories to keep the level of motivation. On the other hand, there are some English translations that don't correspond exactly with the word we are looking for. For example, "taken place" has been translated through a number of German words although there could be used another English words according to the dictionary.
    By the way, in the case of German it would advisable to start the course only in case that you've some grammatical background of the language, since it's very difficult for a beginner.
    I deeply appreciate your hard work and I hope that these suggestions could help to offer a better course. Thanks again for your effort.

• works@Lingvist

@ThePikmania @dev_temp

The other sentence for Tätigkeit that you are referring to is
    Für meine Tätigkeit muss ich viele Informationen sammeln.

As Pikmania has correctly explained, Tätigkeit in this sense is a synonym for job.
    Aktivitäten is a bit more like Feierlichkeiten (festivities) if used in the correct context.

• @Kyle-Goetz said in Confusing Questions:

For Bis zum jetzigen Zeitpunkt, habe ich mir noch keine Gedanken gemacht., could jetzigen be replaced with aktuellen if the word actually fit in the blank? Are the meanings close enough?

They are indeed very similar but "jetzig" is "now/in this very instance" whereas something might still count as "aktuell" when it happened one or two days ago. "Aktuelle Nachrichten" for example.

Since the speaker seems to have spontaneously realized something, "jetzigen" would be more precise than "aktuellen".

• @dev_temp

Wann beginnen die Aktivitäten auch Tätigkeiten?

When you are talking about "DIE Aktivitäten" you usually mean activities on something like a festival or party or something else you are offered to participate in (probably in exchange for your money).

The festival may allow people in at 8:00 but the first concerts start at 10:00.
    So "Wann beginnen die Aktivitäten?" means to ask when the actual program of the festival starts. The answer would be "Um 10:00 Uhr." for this example.

See Google's suggestions for Aktivitäten: https://www.google.de/search?q=Aktivitäten&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=qo5ZWY6YFpDZ8Ae1rqqgAw#q=Aktivitäten+münchen

The singular "Tätigkeit" is a synonym for an "action" or "job" someone or some machine does. It can sometimes be described as "activity" but is less comon.
    https://www.google.de/search?q=Tätigkeiten&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=lI5ZWevEC5DZ8Ae1rqqgAw#q=Tätigkeit

"Ich bin als Bauarbeiter tätig." (I am working as a builder.)
    "Du hast sie in ihren Tätigkeiten gestört" Very formal (You disrupted them in their activities.)

• For Bis zum jetzigen Zeitpunkt, habe ich mir noch keine Gedanken gemacht., could jetzigen be replaced with aktuellen if the word actually fit in the blank? Are the meanings close enough?

• Wann beginnen die Aktivitäten auch Tätigkeiten? I know there is something about Tätigkeit in another sentence, but have hard time remembering what goes where.

• @Lisa-Lingvist Ja, deine Erklärung über Behandlung und Versorgung ist sehr klar. Danke!

• I was wondering about the question with the answer 'nebenbei' - 'Nebenbei hatten wir Spaß zusammen' - translated as 'Incidentally, we had fun together' ('besides' is also given as a hint). 'Incidentally' and 'besides', placed at the start of a sentence like that, have a rhetorical function ('incidentally to the topic of our conversation…'), and I would translate them as 'übrigens' or something like that. My understanding of 'nebenbei' in the german sentence, however, is that fun was had incidentally to the primary activity being discussed. It's a normal adverb with no obvious equivalent, so I would say something like 'We had fun together at the same time / on the side / while doing it'

• works@Lingvist

@Kyle-Goetz

Die medizinische Versorgung hier ist von bestmöglicher Qualität.

Versorgung and Behandlung are actually slightly different:

Versorgung is the care that you 'enjoy' in a hospital or in an ambulance including the food you get, toiletries etc. Behandlung on the other hand is the actual treatment that is given to you.

Medizinische Versorgung, in it's entirety, could be a synonym for Behandlung.
    Medizinische Behandlung however, sounds weird to my ears as a Behandlung is usually already meant in a medical sense.

Does that make sense?

• works@Lingvist

@Kyle-Goetz mehrmals added to mehrfach! These are all in the course primarily so that you know what the word means when you see or hear it. You can pick your favourite and use only that as there is no difference between the two.

• works@Lingvist

@dev_temp Wir werden das bestimmt und sicherlich schaffen! Also added! Keep them coming!

• works@Lingvist

@dev_temp Regarding Stellung and Position: Yes, agreed. Ich hab es als Synonym hinzugefügt! 😉

• @ThePikmania so in this case it seems Behandlung and Versorgung both could be used in the senttence since it's talking about medical treatment/care. I don't see a distinction. In my mind, they're exactly the same thing. Maybe "medical care" is more generically what doctors do, while "medical treatment" is a specific procedure the doctor is doing like a certain type of stitch in a suture or something.

• @Kyle-Goetz "mehrfach" is indeed the same as "mehrmals".

"Behandlung" is "treatment" in the sense that you act on someone mostly in a medical context.
    Examples:
    Der Arzt behandelt die Krankheit des Patienten. (The doctor treats the sickness of the patient.)
    Die Behandlung lief gut. (The treatment went well.)
    Sie behandelt mich ungerecht. (She treats me unfairly.)

"Versorgung" is mostly used as "supply" but can also mean "care".
    Examples:
    Die Versorgung traf im Militärstützpunkt ein. (The supply arrived in the military base.)
    Arbeitslose werden vom deutschen Staat versorgt. (Unemployed people are cared for by the german state.)

• Ich habe euch mehrmals gesagt, dass ihr das lassen soll

Should mehrfach also be accepted instead of mehrmals? Even Duden lists them as synonyms. Same number of letters, and both were introduced to me in Lingvist about the same time, so I have trouble remembering which one goes there.

• Die medizinische Versorgung hier ist von bestmöglicher Qualität.

It seems to me that Behandlung could replace Versorgung.

Also, relatedly, what is the difference between the two? Same number of letters, same meaning AFAIK.

Recent topics: