A picture is worth 1000 words…

…This statement would be for my purpose : a picture can hide nasty native language words.
At a certain stage, perhaps even the earlier stages, I feel the need to loose the reference to my native (or tool) language. And the best way is favorising pictures on front instead of translation.
I can imagine it's a big deal to find free and clear pictures for a lot of topics and to integrate them in the decks. I refer to Rosetta Stone as a reference and also http://rs.io/anki-tips/ .
It would be great, wouldn't it ?

Lingvist graduate

J'ai mis une "traduction" allégée mais comme tu es français, je me permets d'apporter mon point de vue en version originale ^^
Je suis d'accord que s'écarter de sa langue est obligatoire pour pouvoir vraiment apprendre une autre langue, surtout quand on choisit une langue grammaticalement/structurellement différente (moi aussi j'apprends le russe ;) ). J'ai testé la méthode "image" sur Anki mais je trouve que cette méthode attend ses limites très rapidement. Trouver une représentation de chat, de table c'est facile mais dès qu'on s'attaque à des concepts plus complexes on se retrouve vite avec des images qui peuvent représentées tout ou rien. J'aime beaucoup le style épuré de Lingvist, à l'opposé des couleurs, des images et des animations flashy d'autres sites. Et s'ils ajoutent des images j'espère que ça sera seulement comme une option.
Pour conclure, je me sers vraiment de Lingvist comme d'une base d'apprentissage et j'utilise des vidéos sans sous-titre pour apprendre à penser dans une autre langue, une image vaut mille mots mais une vidéo vaut bien mille images ;)

I agree that you need to” step aside” of your mother tongue if you really want to learn a new language, especially when this language is not related to your native one. I tried the “picture” method on Anki but I think you reach this method’s limits very quickly. Find a representation of a cat or a table, it is easy but when you try more complex concepts, the image could represents anything.
I really like the clean elegant design of Lingvist, it is far from the flashy colours and pictures you could find on others sites. I hope that if Lingvist add some pictures, it would be an option.

Marine,

Je t'avouerais que je ne suis pas sûr que des images toutes faites puissent être tellement efficaces. L'idée serait plutôt de pouvoir substituer progressivement des images ou micro vidéos pour les actions. Mais comme tu dis, ça plomberait le design de l'ensemble.

Bon apprentissage du Russe !

last edited by MacDamien

I did this with Anki and Mandarin for about 600 words before I went to Taiwan on vacation. Over the course of a few weeks I made it through 600 flashcards with a picture on one side and the word on the other. It paid off, and I was able to retain quite a bit for the vacation. At one point my wife, who speaks Mandarin, was at one point talking to a native and turned and asked me "what's bicycle?" and I was able to answer immediately. The Taiwanese guy she was talking to got bug eyed seeing a white guy "correct" an Asian girl's Mandarin :)

我也知道怎么说自行车中文的啊! 哈哈.
Hey, and I know how to say "bicycle" in mandarin.

last edited by MacDamien

@MacDamien 腳踏車 is what they use in Taiwan though :)

Looks like your connection to Home was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.