First impressions: 1. too much typing - 2. level too low

After a couple of days:

I am a slow but reasonable '10-finger-touch-typist' in several languages already; having to type new words ONCE would be fine for me; later on I'd only want to re-type difficult words.

But having to type even simple words over and over again becomes EXTREMELY BORING AND COUNTERPRODUCTIVE, and slows down reviews considerably.

Plus, lingvist now treats simple typos as failures, and thus constantly presents cards I already know very well.

Last not least, the level is too low; I already know 80+ % of new words.

In a class you'd be docked for misspellings, too. Rightfully so. Try not to make mistakes: spelling is important in language, too. And if you don't type, how are they going to verify if you know the word or not? I don't know about what language you're learning now, but there's no way to know whether a typo in German is a typo or not. Typos often look just like you don't know how a vowel pair changes order or something.

last edited by Kyle Goetz

@Kyle-Goetz Some digital flashcard systems don't require you to type. You spell the word out in your head, press 'reveal', and are then prompted to mark yourself right or wrong. It requires concentration and honesty.

Lingvist is great on desktop, but on a phone – in the absence of a proper keyboard, I would definitely prefer such a system where you can just swipe instead of typing. It's undoubtedly faster.

last edited by maksim

Using Lingvist on Android, I've been tempted to use gesture typing, but that's cheating, since it helps you with spelling somewhat.

@maksim, I agree, and I think it's a flaw in those systems. I misspelled a lot of German words until Lingvist held my feet to the fire and forced me to be more careful. It's too easy with those other systems to be like "yeah I knew that one" even if I got it wrong and then mark it as "right"

Maybe what you said makes some sense but I don't think so. After all, it's your own opinion rather than others. Firstly, I think "simple typos" are failures too, just like the programming. Secondly, I think there is noting as master key in the world. So what really matter is not low or high, but suitable or not.

I appreciate that we must retype the word until we get it correct. At least for me it facilitates the learning process.

Agreed. Every once in a while it's frustrating that I actually do make a typo but don't realize it until I hit enter. But the next time I get the word right easily and then I don't see it for a while anyway.

And it's important to get the typos marked, because if it were just the honor system and I got one of the words wrong, I'd be like "whatever, I knew that" and mark it correct anyway.

Consider a verb where E and I change order depending on person/tense/etc. (like entscheiden swapping the E and I in preterite but not present—and the two participles have them swapped! entscheidend vs entschieden!), those are not typos. Those are you being wrong. They should be treated as such because they actually change the meaning of the word!

last edited by Kyle Goetz

Looks like your connection to Home was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.