Update: Latest features & Lingvist Unlimited

We’ve been rolling out a few recent changes on Lingvist. Most notably, you may have noticed the new home screen on the apps that gives you a snapshot of your learning progress, or you might have also tried out the option to answer your cards by speaking in the Vocabulary builder.

This is just the start of many more features to come that will expand the skills you can practise with Lingvist. These new features will be a part of Lingvist Unlimited — a more powerful version of Lingvist that is available for everyone for free until the end of the year and will continue to be available to subscribers in the new year.

Lingvist’s co-founder Mait has written an open letter to our learners to give more insight into these features, and share some plans that will keep Lingvist a sustainable language learning tool for a long time to come.

Read Mait's letter here.

last edited by Ave

Great. Shut up and take my money.

Seriously, open Unlimited for people to subscribe now (but still keep it free for everyone until 2018). Then if you have thankful/well-off learners you'll get money now.

Also if you'll make it optional to pay in bitcoin you'll make it easier for some to pay. Just a suggestion.

@justin-worrall Hi Justin! Mind giving it another click? Seems to be working fine again:)

Hi @nick-gorton! Thanks for your enthusiasm! We're working on an option for that would let existing users do just that (subscribe ahead of 2018, I'm afraid bitcoin won't be a payment option though :/ ). We'll be sharing more news in late November.

Lingvist graduate

Great news!

May be a a silly question, but do you intend to implement these features into the desktop app, and if so, when?

Hi @milanezi, not a silly question at all! For the most part, the features will be rolled out across different platforms (desktop, iOS, Android). However, there will be some differences — for instance answering by speaking in the Vocabulary builder will initially be available only on the apps.

The new Vocab builder feature that lets you speak instead of having to type makes it much faster and more fun! Amusingly, the voice recognizer struggles with an important word in Russian: люблю :)

Hi @Ave, I'm planning to subscribe into the new Unlimited plan but I don't see any German Challenges as I've seen in French and Spanish for a while. Will there be German speaking/reading exercises soon? Thanks for the great app.

Hi @ebastidas3! Yes, German too will get speaking and reading exercises in the near future!

@ave great thanks, looking forward!

I seem to have gotten Lingvist free already. What is different besides the missing word list and the word limit?

Hi @maughanster!

On top of having access to the word list and no cap on new words (both daily and overall), Lingvist Unlimited learners will have:

• uncapped access to exercises in the Challenges area. We're rolling them out to different language pairs at a slightly different schedule — check the Spanish course to see a first glimpse of what you can expect. We're very excited about this area in the app and plan to add a lot of rich and interesting learning materials there throughout the year.
  • access to specialized courses — courses that enable you to focus on particular vocabulary topics. We'll roll these out in most language courses in the beginning of 2018 and will continue to expand and refine them throughout the year.
  • the ability to use speech recognition in the apps to answer by speaking in the Vocabulary builder.

Thanks for learning with Lingvist in 2017!

Happy holidays!

Hi Ave,

where is this "vocabulary builder" on the Android app for the latest app version for the English-Spanish course?

Is it already available to try in 12/2017 on an Android emulator like KOPlayer?

Best regards

Hi @thomas-heiss! Sorry for the confusion — I was referring to the Learn section in the apps.

Thanks for your reply.

I double checked with a DuoLingo user, who is in your Android app BETA program.

She has this "Voice speaking" button in the "Learn tab" on V2.17.8, even for the Spanish course (and others).

Personally I do NOT see this voice button on the Learn tab in the middle between the other two with V2.17.8 (Android).

Q: Is this a hidden BETA testing feature or publicly already available?

Q: Has it something to do with KOPlayer Android emulator, where maybe the mic is disabled, that this speaking / recording button is not displayed in the Android app in the "Learn" tab with V2.17.8?

Q: What Android emulators are your team using for testing?

I am quite limited with good emulator software, as I do not seem to have the "right" hardware or 64bit OS; many programs do not run, freeze or have audio deactivated.

I do not expect it to be working - on my emulator - very good, but it probably would have been fun quickly testing it out until 12/31/2017.

And Spanish spelling might drive me crazy / the app not recognizing my voice input.

But as I test...an interesting test for fun.

The biggest problem with lingvist and it's "repeat practice stack" is for me, that I am not fast enough, preventing old words to refill my stack.

I badly want to learn NEW / all (easier) words of the Spanish course for my "end of year 2017 challenge"...but I need to be REALLY QUICK to have a chance to get them displayed.

I am a fast typer, but probably not fast enough....

I've tried a couple times and every time I try to pay with a credit card, it says "Sorry your order failed to process" which is not lack of funds on my part. Is this a temporary problem?

Hi @nick-gorton! Sorry to hear this! I have an inkling of what might be wrong. Could you please try clearing your browser cache and see if the payment goes through then?

Looks like your connection to Home was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.