There is a tiny error in the Spanish course!

Hey Lingvist team,

I just saw the word "pura" and there is a typo in the English translation above.
It should be "asking" instead of as king.
0_1512452501007_Pura.png

Hi there!

Thanks for reporting the error! We have just fixed it!

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

I should probably open a new issue.. Another mistake in the Spanish course. The answer is in past tense, but the translation given is in present tense.

0_1513243260127_Captura de pantalla 2017-12-13 a las 22.24.03.png

¡Hola!

You see it, you say it, we sort it! ;-)

Thank you very much for reporting the error!

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

0_1516440237169_Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 17.21.56.png
@Javier Seems to be another small error, the expected answer is a noun, but the hint says adjective.

Thanks for reporting! I'll deal with it asap! :-)

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

¡Hola Lingvist!
Found some error (plural/singular form):
The expected answer is a first person singular verb, but the hint says first person plural.
0_1516455962514_1.jpg
0_1516456072780_1,2.jpg

Thanks for reporting! All those bugs will be dealt with as early as Monday! :-)

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

0_1516550689921_Captura de pantalla 2018-01-21 a las 23.58.00.png

Hi not sure about this one: if piloto is an adjective, shouldn't it be plural? But I looked it up in the dictionary and it is only listed as a noun, what's going on here..

Hi there!

Thanks for contacting Lingvist!

We understand that you can find this example sentence a bit confusing: as proyectos is plural, then, it'd make sense that the noun following was plural as well. However, this is an exceptional case. Let us explain.

In this case it is not a matter of agreement between a normal noun and an adjective, but between two nouns: one with nominal function and the other with adjective function (in apposition). In such cases, if the second part of the compound does not function autonomously, it is left in the singular: e.g. días calendario ('days', but not 'calendars'); proyectos piloto ( 'projects', but not 'pilots').

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

last edited by Javier

@javier Thanks Javier! In this case shouldn't the grammar hint be singular noun? My understanding is that they are nouns serving adjective functions but they are still nouns.

Hi!

We'll add more sense categories to this lexical unit in the future so the difference is clearer.

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

last edited by Javier

0_1518872594328_Captura de pantalla 2018-02-17 a las 21.01.54.png

The answer is singular noun while the translation is plural noun and the grammar tip is adjective.

¡Hola!

Regarding the grammar tag (ADJ), we have modified it in our system (normativo/a can also function as an adjective, but not in this case). As for the translation, the term normativa is a collective noun, which means it refers to a collection of things taken as a whole. Thus, it usually translates into English as a plural noun:

normativa vigente: "current regulations"
normativa conjunta: "joint regulations"

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

0_1523105711006_Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 14.54.52.png

Shouldn't it be SON instead of SOMOS? 3rd person plural instead of 1st? Thanks.
Or if it's a frase that is used, maybe the translation could be "All people, we are different".

¡Hola!

First of all, thank you very much for reaching out to us!

Regarding your question, both Todas las personas son distintas and Todas las personas somos distintas are correct sentences. The only difference is the speaker's emotional distance towards the message contained in them (somos implies less distance than son in this case).

We will modify the translation so it conveys the meaning of the example sentence in a clearer way.

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

Views