How long does it really take to learn 2000 words in another language?

• I saw the post on the blog and it motivated me
    https://lingvist.com/blog/science/2017/03/15/how-long-does-it-really-take-to-learn-2000-words/

After some days of use, I realize that I am learning 5 words a day, despite the app says to me that I am learning ~30. I am a beginner German learner with only some months of regular book-based course.

My question is: that blog post seems really wrong and not scientific in the sense that it lacks information about the method used to compute those conclusions.

Where the user beginners? Is 2000 the difference between the "starting" and "ending" counts of words? The counts of words mean what? If in my case ~30 mean ~5, and I am doing 30 per hour, in 17 will I learn 2000 words, really? The numbers do not seem right.

I do not think I am the worst learner in the entire World to get like 100-200 in 17 hours (6-11 w/h) words instead of 2000 in 17 hours (117 w/h). Actually, I was always the "Middle-Best "student of my classes (English, University, German...) What is wrong here?

Am I missing something? Could you explain better with more data? I think updating the blog post should be considered as well so that it can be clear. I guess a really misunderstood the blog post. =\

Many thanks
    Henry

• Lingvist graduate

I finished the French course (~5100 words) in ~81 hours, spread over 2 years. There were months I didn't use the app at all, which is why it took so long.

I used to do 150 words a session, which took around 30 mins. I think that if you can commit to 150 words a day you should be able to finish any course here in a relatively small amount of time.

I don't know about other courses but there are plenty of unique words in the French course.

• There is a thread talking about 5000 "lemmas" vs "words": https://lingvist.com/forum/topic/304/5000-lemmas-or-words

Here is a DuoLingo thread talking about "lexemes" vs "lemmas": https://www.duolingo.com/comment/6062532/Does-anyone-know-or-is-able-to-estimate-the-lexemic-word-counts-of-Duolingo-courses

Either way, having a 3000/5000 number represent the counting maybe for full words, lexemes or lemmas

and

taking into effect that the PT->EN reverse tree, where all different conjugated verb tense forms are not as high as in Portuguese as a Romance language by itself,

where Lingvist may teach me many more (English) words than within in the forward courses EN-Spanish or EN-French would probably do it..

.... I am still unsure how I should feel about the new "word limitation".

If the 3000 or 5000 cutting numbers are not lemmas or lexemes, how big is the actual vocabulary one can learn with Lingivst? Maybe (B1/)B2 level?

• @Ziwei-Huang Do you use only LingVist during the 50 / 75 hours you said?
    Thank you for your feedback about how many hours you studied to get 2000 words! This might motivate me a lot! 🙂

• I see that if I study 100 cards per day I will wast like 20-30 min and will not see any new word.
    Will this change? Because it means that no matter how many hours (20, 40, 50 hours...) I spend... It will just keep reviewing my known words... (?)

This is also not clear in the "instructions" to the learning process with LingVist. Actually, nothing is clear at all... and they already want to release a paid version.

• Lingvist graduate

Obviously, Lingvist counts the same words with different endings as different words. In this sense, it took me around 50 hours to 2000 words. and now I am at 2510 words and 75 hours, way slower than the post said.

BTW, I am learning German from English, and my mother tongue is Chinese.

• @henry-heberle said in How long does it really take to learn 2000 words in another language?:

If in my case ~30 mean ~5

Here 30 is the number Lingvist show me as "new words" and 5 is actually the number of new words I saw on cards a day.

• I miss [edit] button here. I did some mistakes and I can't edit. like "where the user beginners?" should be "were the users beginners?" etc

Recent topics: