Why are you learning Russian?

Hi there!

As an author of the Russian course I'm curious to know why are you learning Russian and whether or not you are using it on a daily basis?

We all have our stories, here's a lovely story of a 74 yo woman who started learning Russian aged 56, and says it has given her a whole new life http://rbth.com/arts/literature/2016/04/22/learning-russian-has-given-me-a-whole-new-life_587093

Looking forward to your stories!

I voted for "just for fun" but that's not totally right. I'm very interested in the literature and by the way I'm a student of french literature and the russians have done great works in literature, in my opinion russian and persian literature are thousands times better than american or english literature. So I want to read russian literature in russan, that's the most important thing for me. And it's other benefits like one more language, learning a new culture, new people and the fact that it's very beneficial for getting a better job, these are the other reasons.

Hi @pripyatbelediyebaskani

Thanks for your reply! Who are your favourite Russian writers?

It is hard to name one favourite writer or one favourite book, but I would say that Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky are my favourite authors.

If you need any book recommendations, let me know! :)

Hello, Sabina!

I have a few different reasons. First is for fun because Russian is different from the languages I have been exposed to thus far. Second is for literature because Russian is one of the best languages for it (and because I would like to compare the translations that exist for these stories, which are so vastly different! But I know it would take me a long time to reach reading level, especially for classics). Third is that I know some Russian people and it would be fun to use it with them. I don't think I would be learning it without any of these components. I'm actually not the greatest at motivating myself.

I try to study every day. I'm currently using three different apps/websites and I will soon have a couple of books at my disposal. Being able to use it in a practical way I haven't gotten to yet, but I'm working on it. Still very much a beginner.

I'm enjoying the Lingvist course very much, so good work and nice to see you around.

HiSabina,

I don't think my vote was accepted but the main reason is because I have Russian friends and workmates. I have also visited Russia and am interested in the culture.

I always wanted to learn a second language but never had enough motivation and practice opportunities to stick with other languages. I have been working on Russian for a while now and although I find it hard but I am still determined to learn the language.

Once I started living in Estonia I saw and heard Russian around me as there's a large Russian speaking population and I became curious - particularly as I wasn't familiar with Cyrillic writing

I studied Russian in college but it was (let's just say) a while ago. I never had verbal fluency but I used to be able to read a Pravda (and why can I not type Cyrillic in this form? :-)

I am enjoying the course. Now I need to figure out how to use the onscreen keyboard without getting pains in my hand. We will see.

I speak Serbian(-Croatian) fluently (with some grammar issues), so Slavic languages aren't unfamiliar to me. Here in Germany I hear Russian almost on a daily basis and I have also some Russian and Ukrainian friends therefore the chances for actually using русский язык are definitly greater than zero.
I find Russian grammar & orthography more complicated than the South-Slavic ones. So this journey is definitely a challenge for me. Even with quite good familiarity with "Slavic" I would need sometimes a little bit more clues on some complicated cards.
Thank you for creating Lingvist; I find it very well made. Keep up with the good work!
(p.s. I would be also very-very interested in Italian on an English, German or Hungarian :) basis.)

Привет, @Andor !

Спасибо за ответ! Мне очень приятно, что тебе нравится наш курс русского!

Whenever you come across a card which could have a better explanation, feel free to let me know :)

I've also noted down your wish of an Italian course. We'll let you know once we have it!

@Sabina:
"Whenever you come across a card which could have a better explanation, feel free to let me know :)"

Here's a good example of one of these:

"I have nothing to do with this!"
"я тут ни при чём!"
(One should type in при based on the hint: attached to)

Based on my Serbian knowledge I have a quite good "guessing rate" in Russian, but here I am just looking into the void. ;) In these definitely non-trivial cases you should provide an extra expandable hint where you explain the sentence a little bit; literal translation or something like that would be a great help.

@Andor

This is just a set expression which you have to try to memorize. "ни при чём" means "to have nothing to do with it". Literal translation is a good idea! I will give it some thought :)

Looks like your connection to Why are you learning Russian? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.