Bug? Summary of 'words I know' contains words I've not been shown before?

• When you go to the progress statistics (by clicking/pressing on the little bar chart icon in the top right hand corner) and go to the vocabulary tab, it displays a nice graph of how many words you've learned so far and the percentage of the language you should be able to understand.

Underneath that, it has a paragraph that explains the graph, written in your studied language. It handily highlights words you know by now.

However, for me it highlights words I've not been shown before? So seems to be something wrong with it, or I've not understood how it works.

Further, whenever I face a new word for the first time, I'm still asked to enter its translation from English even though I've never seen it before. How am I supposed to be tested on a word I've never been shown? I have to click reveal every time a new word comes up, so I can learn its translation for the first time. Is this how it's supposed to be, or is there supposed to be a feature where the software tells you the definition, the first time it shows you a word?

Many thanks!

• Lingvist graduate

that little paragraph is only symbolic. it is simply a visual representation of how much of a generic text you are expected to understand.
    you'll notice how it changes when you move the little slider. it has nothing to do with the actual vocabulary taught by lingvist.

• Ah ok, thank you for your speedy reply.

That's a shame about the first part, to have accurate and constantly available progress reports (even if the progress is small, word for word) is a huge motivational boost. Shame it's not accurate - in fact, the total known word count is one of the the key features I and probably many chose the app for.

As for the second part, that sounds fair enough. Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it.

Best regards.

• @patrick-tew said in Bug? Summary of 'words I know' contains words I've not been shown before?:

However, for me it highlights words I've not been shown before? So seems to be something wrong with it, or I've not understood how it works.

I would take that page with a grain of salt, even the word count could lie a bit.

@patrick-tew said in Bug? Summary of 'words I know' contains words I've not been shown before?:

Further, whenever I face a new word for the first time, I'm still asked to enter its translation from English even though I've never seen it before. How am I supposed to be tested on a word I've never been shown? I have to click reveal every time a new word comes up, so I can learn its translation for the first time. Is this how it's supposed to be, or is there supposed to be a feature where the software tells you the definition, the first time it shows you a word?

Not all Lingvist users are completely new to the language. Lots of people already have some background knowledge. When the word is first introduced in the course you can enter the correct answer, if you know it and the system will mark that word as "known" with a huge repeat interval. That is one of the ways Lingvist is trying to improve your learning experience so you wouldn't have to go through words you already know over and over again. An even if you are a novice, as Lingvist teaches you not only words, but also word-forms, and at some point you'll be able to infer the answer to some question without ever even seen a correct one. So, it's not a bug and there are reasons for the system to be build this way.

Recent topics: