Old-fashioned swear words in English

• admins

OK, so I'm a word collector. I love the history of words, how the landscape of words we use has changed over time, and how we can bring back old words to make our language today a little bit more colourful.

With this in mind, I'd like to share this great little article that came my way about old-fashioned swear words that we should bring back into use!

Personally, I've been using the word "cripes" for a long time just because it's fun to say...

Got any other good ones to add to the list? Would love to see what everyone else comes up with!

• "Partially, this is because of religious standards. It's perfectly acceptable to say "Jesus Christ!" or "God Almighty!" without anybody threatening you with a heresy charge" the article says. Maybe that's so, but it's completely unacceptable to me. I am not a fan of euphemisms either!
    My brother used to say "Buddha!" when he was a child, just to annoy our agnostic Buddhist-leaning mother.
    Please don't say "Bloody Nora" - because Nora was my mother's name and she had no discernible sense of humour and would not have been pleased!

• Lingvist graduate

Will you add "this old-fashioned swear words" to the vocabulary available on Lingvist ? 😉

Recent topics: