Any discounts or promotions planned for the future?

• $30 (Canadian) a month is absolutely outrageous! My Netflix bill is a third of that and they don't force me to pay 12 months upfront.

I would gladly pay to support the developers of Lingvist if the prices were more reasonable or I didn't have to pay a year upfront for a decent price. Duolingo is $10 a month, per month ($8/month annual) . Memrise is $9 a month, per month ($5/month (!!) annual). Even Babel offers $19 a month which includes an hour of Skype lesson.

• works@Lingvist

@Thomas-Heiss

You can find responses to your questions here.

• works@Lingvist

Hi @ryan-1, as mentioned earlier, Lingvist Unlimited is targeted towards enthused learners with language learning goals, who have time and resources to work with the app. When selecting which features go behind the paywall we went for those that only the most dedicated learners use. We are committed to delivering language learning achievements for our learners, and we are also happy to support our goal-oriented learners for whom subscriptions are above feasibility level. My colleagues at hello@lingvist.io are ready to review each case.

• @kaspar
    Kasper, the problem is not affordability. The problem is that I could pay for Netflix ($9cad/month), Spotify ($10cad/month) and Duolingo ($10/month) combined without being stuck paying for a year up front and still have enough to get myself a double double before reaching Lingvist's absurd month by month price.

• I can not edit or delete the above comment anymore (300 seconds limit).

You can find the updated text here: https://lingvist.com/forum/post/3974

• @kaspar said in Any discounts or promotions planned for the future?:

This is why we made sure that most of our learners can continue learning with the effective (ad) free version and put only those features behind the paywall that only the most dedicated learners use.

Well, I gave already my detail feedback with suggestions to your team mid of December 2017 what I think about your "3000 words cutting" with "Lingvist Free", didn't I?: https://lingvist.com/forum/topic/810/your-3000-words-cutting-announcement-with-lingvist-free

The feedback from staff has been ZERO, sorry to say.
    IMHO you chose the "one way road" and you continued to drive it, dunno why.

Because you want to continue "ad free"?

Your staff has already agreed in other recent threads that "Lingvist unlimited" upgrade makes e.g no sense for Spanish learners as they can only extend vocabulary from 3000 (Free cut) to ~3800 and not 5000 at this time and that the costs would not justify the "Lingvist unlimited" benefits (maybe it does for French because of ~5000 words).

We are convinced that the current and future features of Lingvist Unlimited help learners to acquire information faster and deeper

Well, there has been two threads about about this and statistics, and your blog article.

Your own past analytics e.g say that at least three learners could learn 2000 words in 17 hours on three different learning concepts with this in common.

Nevertheless, I personally and strongly think that these 1000words/17h data has been collected with a quite different older Lingvist algorithm and the "practice repeat stack" behaved very different at that time....or ALL of the three learners may not have been true beginners in that language?!?

My data of my own "end of 2017 year Lingvist Spanish challenge" proved, that I could "only" learn 1000 words in 20 hours and 11 days.

Why?
    Because your dynamic increasing "repeat practice stack" drove me really crazy...I already wrote about it in another thread.

For some days I took 1h learning sessions...for other days I tried to push the 50/100 NEW words limits and could only succeed with 2-3 hours / day splitted learning sessions.

One of the last two days when I came back 45-90 minutes later after a short break, I was again overwhelmed with added words in the "repeat practice stack".

My language background:

• I was pretty much pre-skilled with Portuguese Brazil as my 1st Romance language for more than one year on DuoLingo and Memrise and other portals, even I had to learn Spanish from scratch (so not a "true" Romance language beginner - I believe that for those beginners it would be even harder - almost impossible on Lingvist!).

• I am a very quick writer (ten finger system), so I knew how to quickly push from one flashcard (even with errors) forward to the other to win over your error system!

I also wrote down what I could achieve in 17 hours (<1000 words) but this taken screenshot is at the moment stored on a 2nd Laptop harddrive and not available to me as I write this comment.

So no, I am that much convinced what you told (and I quoted) above, Kasper. I am very sorry.

Example:

The first week after my Lingvist challenge I was back in learning new Portuguese words on the last Memrise PT BR 7 course and it was so much more relaxing for mein combining different learning concepts like:

• "half-planting (10) NEW words" (Android app allows you to do it)
    • (half-)planting 10 words of multiple levels (groups)
    • NOT being forced to review at the same time when I want to learn NEW words
    • defined learning sessions to focus on NEW words (and not reviews or errors)
    • more effective "cram (bulk) learning" (I easily hit the 50/100 words limits)
    • finally seeing a progress bar (I missed it so much!)
    • defined 100 words reviews in a single "review session" with a progress bar
      etc.

I would agree with you Kasper, that there is room for the one or other improvement.

Viele Grüße / Best regards from Germany

• works@Lingvist

Hey Ryan, I understand why you’d think a month of Lingvist subscription is too much. This is why we made sure that most of our learners can continue learning with the effective (ad) free version and put only those features behind the paywall that only the most dedicated learners use. We are convinced that the current and future features of Lingvist Unlimited help learners to acquire information faster and deeper. We are also convinced that learning a language is a marathon, not a sprint, and we would like to be able to support language learning goals. If you have a strong commitment, we’d love to hear from you on hello@lingvist.io to see how we can help you reach your goals. It’s great if you use SMART goals to describe your commitment and we’ll see how we can support you.

• I went for uTalk to strengthen my PT BR vocabulary and hopefully to see some phrases.

They even have topics like "Sailing" 🙂

One DuoLingo user had added a thread about an uTalk offer on http://stacksocial.com/ which cost me $30 for 6 languages for "unlimited lifetime" (just have registered PT BR - left the five others "slots" unused).

Normally you either pay ~59,99EUR (one time) per language or 9,99EUR per month (all 130 languages) in their shop.

Sadly uTalk won't focus on conversations (I heard Babbel supports this?) nor full sentences (maybe / hopefully some beginner phrases) in contrast to Lingvist.

But as I have signed up for a Podcast last year and 2 years Premium subscription (video, audio) to practice PT BR listening, I can only (hardly) afford offers like this - and "lifetime account" in 6 languages may even help me a bit to continue learning Spanish, French, Czech in the near future,....

On Lingvist I had completed a end of 2017 year challenge and learned in 11 days 1000 words in 20 hours (I kinda dislike the "repeat practice stack" how it works right now without my Memrise "progress bar" for a define review/learning session).

If you do not want to or can not afford Lingvist, I would have to strongly suggest to check out the OpenSource software AnkiSRS (available for Windows) and find a good 10-15k sentence "shared deck" (there are some, sorted by word frequency).
    It might take you a while to read the docs, try around with SR / learning settings, thread their forum and any available Anki tuning blogs, but maybe it could get you hooked up to learn the rest >3800 words.

• I went for uTalk to strengthen my PT BR vocabulary and hopefully to see some phrases.

They even have topics like "Sailing" 🙂

One DuoLingo user had added a thread about an uTalk offer on http://stacksocial.com/ which cost me $30 for 6 languages for "unlimited lifetime" (just have registered PT BR - left the five others "slots" unused).

Normally you either pay ~60$ (on time) per language or $10 per month.

Sadly uTalk won't focus on conversations (I heard Babbel supports this?) nor full sentence (maybe / hopefully some beginner phrases) in contrast to Lingvist.

But as I have signed up for a Pod101 last year and 2 years Premium contract (video, audio) to practice PT BR listening, I can only (hardly) afford offers like this - and unlimited in 6 languages may even help in Spanish, French, Czech, etc.

If you can not afford Lingvist, I would have to strongly suggest to check out the OpenSource software AnkiSRS (available for Windows) and find a good 10-15k sentence "shared deck" (there are some, sorted by word frequency).

Recent topics: